" Come sit by my side and over a cup of tea, speak to me of the goodness of life."
Lady Evelyn Fitzgerald Dodson

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tea Quote Thursday

In honor of St. Patrick's Day and the rollicking sense of humor the Irish have, some funny tea quotes from a classic-era film screened in the parlor last night:


Mr. Ross:  "I never touch it (tea)--my doctor tells me it's poison."  "I knew a chap once who drank tea until he burst out in a rash." "It was tea. It was green tea. Same constituency, you know, as leather."

Character of Mr. Ross in the 1931 movie Smart Woman starring Mary Astor. Mr. Ross was played by the consummate character actor Edward Everett Horton. Afternoon tea is the focus of a dramatic yet comedic scene between the wife, her husband, his girlfriend, and her brother- and sister-in law. Mr. Ross is the brother-in-law, and therefore allowed by the writers of the screenplay to be outrageous--bumbling, on the prowl, insulted, naive, concerned, and caring, all at the same time. Much more fun to play than the staid hero or heroine, I would imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment