" Come sit by my side and over a cup of tea, speak to me of the goodness of life."
Lady Evelyn Fitzgerald Dodson

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chantilly Tea Room

I wanted to treat my friends who pet-sat for me to a lovely thank you, and what more charming place that at Chantilly Tea Room? They began serving breakfast there in the fall, and having enjoyed myself so much in October when I tried it out, I knew breakfast was in order this time.

We drank that day's special, a rose-infused black tea, and Yorkshire Gold. As always, the food was very good, promptly served, by a smiling and friendly waitress. I had the fritatta, while the others both had breakfasts that could have doubled as desserts (maple french toast and the special). I've lunched here, as well, and the menu at both meals, while not extensive, is good. The tea pot is filled with hot water as soon as it needs refilling (tea lovers always know when a tea lover is serving them, or a tea lover is the owner/manager--your pot is never empty for long).

The signature of Chantilly is choosing your tea cup from their collection of antique and new tea cups, to which you are led quite ceremoniously after you chose your tea (two pots per table from a fairly extensive list of black teas and tisanes). Antique and new sets and individual cups are for sale and are gorgeous. Lacy aprons, tea note cards, and loose leaf tea (Harney and Sons and others) are sold in the little shop. Chantilly is a very Victorian and feminine tea room with pink walls, lacy fichus and aprons hanging from screens, and a cosy fireplace with a dainty love seat, but I've seen men partaking of the tea delights each time I've been there. A very small patio makes breakfast dining delightful. I always enjoy visits to Chantilly. It makes a tired, dusty scientist feel very girly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment